Goodbye, 2010. This was the year:
- Sam started a new job.
- We didn’t move.
- The Saints won the Super Bowl and I experienced the fatigue that goes with a several-month-long adrenalin rush.
- We went through the somewhat cumbersome process of applying for school for MrMan.
- I watched and experienced the sadness of once again feeling like I live in the region that is taken for granted.
- I traveled with MrMan with it being just the two of us for the first time, and discovered he’s a great travel companion.
- We went to New York for the first time since MrMan was born, and I enjoyed seeing him enjoy it. (Why wouldn’t he?)
- MrMan started “real” school, albeit preschool, in an environment that has really nourished his growth.
- I gave serious consideration to a job in Hawaii, but ultimately put the greater good of the family first.
- After discovering a lump, I got my first mammogram. It was awesome – not only because it gave me piece of mind, but because it’s an interesting experience. Who knew they could get so flat?
- I took the GRE for the first time in 16 years, and kind of rocked it.
- We discovered and repeated the relaxing experience that is traveling to Chicago by train.
Five years ago – 2005 – I:
- Went on pilgrimage, along with Sam, my parents, Anis (and an, as later I found out, in utero MrMan.
- Got offered a job in NYC – an accomplishment I still hold onto (obviously) – but turned it down.
- Took multiple trips to the mainland, the last of which turned my ankles to swollen sausages.
- Watched via tv as my beloved hometown was devestated (and I, too, as a result).
- Met MrMan face to face for the first time.
Ten years ago -2000 – I:
- Moved from New Orleans to Evanston, with a job in Oak Park, to live closer to Sam.
- Lived by myself for the first time.
- Learned how to shovel and drive in snow.
Fifteen years ago – 1995 – I:
- Had a spring and summer filled with fun, friends, and one of my all-time favorite jobs – working at a movie theater.
- Was thrown into turmoil when I found out I wasn’t going to serve in Haifa, as I’d hoped.
- Officially graduated from college.
- Moved to Shenyang, China.
Twenty years ago – 1990 – I:
- Decided to change my non-exercising ways and started “moving” – my term for jogging.
- Joined the soccer team, my senior year of high school. Thank goodness I went to a school that focused more on academics.
- Expanded the circle of people with whom I spent time, pushing myself beyond my comfort zone.